A Thing of Beauty

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever.”

form Endymion, by John Keats.

Well, maybe. As a now single, almost octogenarian man, I have to say “It ain’t necessarily so.” This is from a collection that has gathered dust in our china cabinet for over 50 years. There were 64 pieces originally; 4 became chipped or broken. They may have been used 20 times in 50 years. I am faced now with selling them as I cannot take them with me. None of my 4 boys, now men with and without family want them. There is no longer a market for collections, only replacement of single pieces—if they have this style. I can donate them, but whoever I donate them to would have a similar problem.

Their time is past. So be it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What do you think of the background (the roof of a grey car).

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D750, Tripod
Lens: VR 180mm f/2.8G
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Group Area AF
VR: OFF
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter Speed: 1/125s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1600
67% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio and DeNoise, Camera Raw filter, TK Sharpen for web @ 60%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

With the back story, it is a sad but beautiful relic past its useful life.

Times have changed and once cherished things are not used like they were. I inherited my mom’s sterling flatware. I have no use for it and there is not much of a market for it either. The once lavish presentations have become more utilitarian in the younger (and even my) generation.

Well done Phil! And great idea making a photograph of the old, unwanted relic. If anything, you will take with you the memories of this piece and all those family gatherings - even once you’ve donated or otherwise discarded…

Suggestion wise, if you’re inclined, might be to slightly blur the roof of the car that is in plane of focus. But I’d say that’s pretty nitty. :wink: I really like the glow of the oblong cutouts in the crystal.

Your post sure gives me ideas. I think we all have items like this that no longer get used or have any value - other than historical family history value.

Thanks for sharing.

Lon

A lovely image, Phil, and a lovely piece of glass work. I like the car roof as a stage though the upper background seems a bit distracting to my eye. My wife recently got rid of the china her sister gave her at a previous marriage-much the same sort of thing, and I know we still have things like this floating around that will eventually be disposed of.

Personally, I think the best method is to donate them to a thrift store in hopes someone will fall in love with them.

Beautiful crystal and emotion-evoking image - and a dilemma all of us older people face. The kids don’t want any of the family heirlooms - what we cherish, they have no connection to., or room for. We have stuff from my mother, grandmother, single great aunt - as well as Jim’s mother, and 2 aunts. It has all funneled down to us and we are drowning. Even the antique buyers won’t take it, as their shops are already overflowing.
Sandy

Hi Phil,

Well done with this image. The BG is somewhat different from the middle and wish that the swirling patterns extended further back. The story is very compelling and I went through this with my dad after my mom’s death. I hope that you find a home for this piece.,Jim

Phil: Not sure if the image or the story is more compelling. May you find success in passing these on. Blessings to you my friend.>=))>