Philippa Contemplates the World in Her Own Reflection

This photograph turned out to be a classic example of Sam Abell’s composition dictum: “compose the picture from back to front and wait”. I spent a while in the early morning setting this picture up. I took a few frames and then my wife, having just awakened and not noticing me taking pictures, walked into the frame. I resisted my immediate urge to yell out and shoo her away and instead, kept shooting. I took many frames, but this was the one that stood out for me because of the nice curve that forms between the bend of my wife’s back above and her reflection below. It seems to be mirrored across the way, especially by the dark trees at the right edge of the frame. My wife’s entry into the frame turned this image from another nice photograph that I’ve taken many times to something a little different.

Specific Feedback Requested

Much more than “like” or “don’t like”, I am most interested to hear the emotional impact, if any, this image has on you. Any other feedback with regards to composition, colour etc. would also be most welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

I’d like to share some of my post processing experience because it was a very illuminating and gratifying adventure. I had recently stumbled across an article on the compatibility problem between Fujifilm X cameras and Adobe Lightroom. I had never heard of “worms” but when I saw them illustrated in the article, I recognized immediately what they were because, being a Fuji guy, they were showing up in many of my images (albeit at 100% or more magnification). I had thought it was my fault – over sharpening – but it turns out it is a problem endemic to Fuji X cameras. Then I saw an article on how to deal with the problem: a plug-in called Iridient X-Transformer. It may occur to you that I love researching and my next search was right here on NPN where I posted a question about the Iridient X-Transformer plug-in as to whether anyone had used it and was it worth the cost and effort. I got a detailed reply from our own @David_Kingham who included a couple of links to articles he’d written based on his own research. He advised against the plug-in and showed a better, simpler approach to the problem, which I used in this photograph. Although, for the most part, this photograph doesn’t have a lot of fine detail, I did want to bring out the detail on the left side of the frame juxtaposed to the soft, misty feel of the right side. I want to thank you, David for helping me out and to just let you know how pleased I am with the results. I have, yet again, tweaked my workflow!
Here are the links to David’s articles that you may find useful even if you aren’t a Fujifilm user:

I also want to shout out to @Sean_Bagshaw, who has been ever helpful when it comes to post processing. He is a champion of the “soft light” mode for bringing out the richness in certain kinds of photographs. I had never really picked up on it, however, until this photograph. I struggled to find the depth of colour and tone I was looking for in this image when a light went on in my brain and I remembered Sean’s recommendations. Naturally, I wouldn’t use this technique in every image, but in this one, it really brought out the colour and tone without screaming “look at me!”

3 Likes

Kerry, I think you’ve reached your own style in image making. The last several works of yours have a very similar quality. I think it’s related to that Hudson school of painting. The subjects in these landscapes have a certain spirit to them. They’re emotional interpretations of nature. I think a lot of photographers have that in mind when they shoot but conveying it successfully is another matter. This image reeks of stillness and gentleness. It’s the feeling I have had on the water in the early mornings. I also like the figure there because it brings me to those early morning explorations many of us like to do near the shoreline. Although to be honest there is also a slight concern that she will slip down that bank. It almost feels like a balancing act - lean to much forward and you go head first; lean to much backwards and your feet slip forwards taking her with them.

I’m not sure how much of it is related to post processing or to the subject itself. I did view one of Sean’s videos on soft light after reading this. No matter how you got there “the proof of the pudding is in the eating” and this is some fine pudding (I guess).

PS. I love the grey frame. It’s the perfect environment for this landscape.

This is a very evocative image, Kerry. The lighting in this scene is exquisite and emotionally I can feel the stillness and solitude surrounding both you and your wife as you roused and started your new day. The details on the left side of the frame provide a nice contrast to the way the fog softens the rest of the scene and kicks the mood up another notch or two. Beautifully done!

This is just sumptuous Kerry. The colors or so perfectly soft and just the right shade. I agree with @Igor_Doncov that this image just reeks of stillness and gentleness. Your wife seems to be contemplating something deep and maybe even evocative in the stillness of the water. I think this would be a really fine image without your wife but having her in it makes it a more deeply meaningful image for you. The composition is well chosen. You’ve framed the right and left sides of the image beautifully, you’ve blended the water horizon and the fog seamlessly and as I’ve said, the colors are spot on. I wouldn’t change a thing. Even the soft gray frame adds to the muted nature of this image. This is the kind of image where I could sit and contemplate life in absolute stillness.

@Igor_Doncov - I am very touched by your remarks, Igor. I feel like I’m slowly stumbling towards something, though I’m still not clear as to what it might be. Romantic to be sure, so thanks for noticing.
@Ed_Lowe - thanks so much for your comments, Ed. I was very pleased at the contrast, as you pointed out, between the detailed left and soft, misty right side of the frame. It is mornings like this - still and silent - that makes carrying a canoe around on my head well worth the effort.
@David_Haynes - “Reeking of stillness and gentleness” is a phrase to remember! Contemplation comes easily on morning like this one, which by the way, are surprisingly common. It is that sense I have that as I contemplate the world, it is simultaneously contemplating me. Thanks so much, David, for your very kind words.

I’m SO late here – meant to comment (on this and many others) and got caught up in computer problems. I only have time right now to second all the wonderful comments above! A wonderful and amazing image!!

A wishful beginning of the day. It speaks of a world of peace as there should be. Well worth your waiting !

@Diane_Miller , @Ben_van_der_Sande - thank you both for taking the time to comment. Always appreciated.