A Web of Wonder

Hard to appreciate the scale of this without a yardstick, but from cypress stumps to cypress tree is about 3 1/2 feet, maybe even four. I wanted to get closer but there were too many submerged stumps to chance a better shot angle. I’m not sure what kind of spider wove this masterpiece, but suspect a golden Orb Weaver.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything and everything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810, 200-500 @300mm, f/5.6, ISO 640, 1/500 - shot from a moving boat in the wee hours of the morning.

Both lights and dark masks to pull as much detail in the web as possible.

That is so cool! I was shooting a spider web this morning, myself. The light is killer if a little bright. Agree that an orb weaver of some kind probably made this. Oh and they’re cypress knees not stumps. No one is exactly sure what they do or why cypresses have them, but many have tried.

I wish the moss on the left wasn’t blown out and the focus seems to be so narrow that it’s hard to take it all in without getting hung up on the OOF bits. Maybe a little scroll crop to a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio would solve some of those issues. It’s a super find. I wonder if she was successful with this arrangement.

Easy fix on the moss. The sun was coming through a narrow break in the tree line. I felt any more DoF would suck in too much of the BG, thus obscuring the web…hard to make all these decisions when floating along…I use the term stumps because those folks who do not live near swampy areas always ask what a knee is…everybody knows a stump. :slight_smile:

I agree with Kristen, this is so cool. Just love the way the web looks and the light on it along with the reflections.

1 Like

I have never seen a web so big. Thanks for sharing Chris.

1 Like

What a fantastic find and capture. The depth of field creating a blurred background certainly serves to emphasize the web. It reminds of of playing Cat’s Cradle with string when I was a kid.

1 Like