Above

This image caugth my eye because of the ligth that pour down on the mushrooms, they were growing on the inside of a broken log.

The post processing and all arround feel of the image was made to create a sort of underground scene, as if this mushrooms were growing on a ground crack or small cavern.

What are your thougths and feedback on this image?

Thank you,
Cheers

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The image is a bit noisy but as it too much noise and should it be addressed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

As composition goes, that left side wood is on the image to create the said underground feeling, but should it be removed?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Its a tripod shot with extention tubes to close focus.
13s, f/20, ISO 100 at 312mm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@jferrao.photo

I like this, Joao. It is interesting how mushrooms and things can grow in such places as inside a dead tree log. Great find and capture.

Joao: A really nice find and a good capture. I don’t really see much noise even in the largest version. I think you have just enough FG on the left to convey what you were after and I think the POF/DOF on the mushrooms leaves the left side OOF enough to help the effect without being a distraction. Well done. >=))>

Your concept is wonderful. To my eye the underground feeling might be enhanced if the red hue of the left stump were desaturated and less bright. Maybe the bright areas of the top log might be burned a bit.

João, I was photographing a cluster of mushrooms that looks similar to these just a couple of days ago. They were a fun find. You’ve view of these looks very good with the overall feeling of them hiding along with the good contrast between them and their surroundings. I do think that cropping this to square (losing most of the sharpness on the left) would help keep the focus on the mushrooms.

Love this shot since I recently finished shooting mushrooms myself. Like the way your mushrooms are peaking out from inside the log and especially the colors on the face of the top log portion. Don’t know of any changes to be made. Good work!
Wayne

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman, @Bill_Fach, @Dick_Knudson, @Mark_Seaver and @johnwayne for your kind words, and sorry for the late response.

Thanking is account your feedback i did this rework:

Burned the top part and left side a bit, and also re-croped and indeed its much better. The left side to me was important because of that golden texture, but less in indeed more and its much better now.

Thank you and sorry again.

1 Like