Acorn Defugalty

I’ve been having fun observing, and shooting the goin’s on at our birdbath. I especially like capturing the little fusses between the birds. Check out these two acorn woodpeckers working it out.

Specific Feedback Requested

Cropping?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/1600th, f 10, 300mm, ISO 6400, AI Clear, cropped to 3339 x 2380

3 Likes

Great action shot, Dave! Personally I like the composition, it give the action plenty of room.

Great action, Dave. I think the crop is fine. I do think a bit of shade over your bird bath would make for better image quality and certainly easier control of the highlights.

Battle of the bird bath. I love it, Dave! I love the puffed up red headdresses. Good positioning of both birds. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about maybe a canopy over the bath for improved dynamic range.

Congratulations, Dave on the first place human & fauna of the year! Your quest to capture birds in more unique positions has paid off!

Hi Dave! Congratulations on the yearly editors pick! Thanks for teaching me a new word. I’d never heard ‘defugalty’ before. Going to have to try to fit it into a conversation. Very interesting thing to capture. I like your crop, I think it defines the ‘arena’.