Acorn Jump

I got this brief moment of a male acorn woodpecker jumping recently.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is it worthy of keeping even though it’s needing some more meet at the bottom? It’s what I ended up with in the moment.

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/1000th, 540mm, ISO 6400, AI Clear, cropped to 2452 x 2770.

I like the action in this, Dave, and the bit of motion blur doesn’t bother me. Since you have the perch in the frame, the lack of room at the bottom is understandable to the viewer, so I think it works.

I agree with Dennis, the composition is fine. The perch balances the image. If anything the tight squeeze at the bottom of the frame emphasizes the tension in the action. I like it that way. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Dave! I think this is a good action shot and doesn’t need any additional attention. I agree with Dennis and Dale about the slight motion blur and tightness on the bottom. You included enough visual information to make this work. Well done!

This is a very cool action shot, Dave. Definitely a keeper in my view.

A tough shot to capture that decisive moment and you’ve done a nice job of getting the moment. The problem is that the bird just isn’t sharp. Even at 1/1000, the bird isn’t quite sharp, and I don’t think it is all motion blur. The perch looks tack sharp and with the bird being just in front of that focal plane after the dive, the camera just didn’t keep up with the sharp focus.