Acorn Woodpecker

I’ve taken a lot of photos of Acorn Woodpeckers, but I think this is the first time I’ve captured one with an actual acorn!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Do I need more room on the right or more tree?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3; ISO 1250

2 Likes

What a wonderful photo of this woodpecker. Looks like he may have bitten off more than he can chew. I think the composition is perfect and the DOF really helps to emphasis the bird. Very nicely done.

1 Like

Allen, I have never heard of an Acorn Woodpecker before. Do they actually eat them? Great shot of him though. The background is showing some noise, which can be expected at ISO 1250, but should be able to be fixed either in LR or a special noise reduction software. Otherwise, and wonderful capture.

1 Like

Thanks, @Shirley_Freeman. Acorn Woodpeckers are pretty much limited to the west coast and southwest. They will drill holes in dead trees or limbs and store the acorns there for the winter.

1 Like

Excellent pose and detail, Allen and I like the way you composed this image. @Shirley_Freeman, they definitely eat the acorns as do a lot of Jays. In addition to storing them in dead trees they are fond of telephone poles and fence posts. If you look closely at this image of a buck jumping a fence by @Dave_Douglass, you’ll see the posts peppered with acorns.

2 Likes

Your Acorn Woodpecker photo came out better than mine

@albert1: I had a shot just like this I processed and then decided on the one I submitted above. For me the reason was the head tilt to the right made the eye less prominent and there was something about their eye that seems somewhat unnatural, almost lifeless. I like your shot, though, nice light and excellent detail. Welcome to NPN.

Very nice frame. Great to have the acorn for the Acorn Woodpecker!! Nice details and exposure looks great.

You asked about more room: Yes… Just too tight for my tastes.

1 Like