African Babul Blue

Azanus jesous, the African babul blue or topaz-spotted blue

A butterfly expert told me the name. The small blue butterflies are very difficult to differentiate …
Early in the morning… this one was quiet for a while …

6DII, 180 Tamron, ISO800, 5.6, 1/4000

Balan Vinod

Balan, I am not familiar with this butterfly, so I am thrilled that you found him and able to photograph him. Also nice to have a butterfly expert to ID him for you. If he was quiet (assuming you mean staying still), maybe less shutter speed and more f-stop would have made this image even better. I am bothered a bit by the pink flower that is closer to you than the BF, and is so out of focus. I am wondering If you have lots of pixels, and could crop this down quite a bit, getting rid of most of the oof pink flower, and cropping some off the left to take it a bit off center would help? That also would give us a closer look at the subject. Just a thought. About how big was he? He looks like he was probably pretty tiny.

I like how the pink from the flower it reflected in the butterflies wings, really beautiful Balan. I do agree with Shirley about perhaps experimenting with some cropping. May help to focus more on the butterfly. Very nice capture.

A striking image. Love the colors and detail in the butterfly and it stands out well against the background. Agree with Shirley about experimenting with the crop. I could see a crop where just the top of the pink flower shows and some off the right and left. Whatever, its a beautiful image.

Balan: I actually like the very narrow DOF and the OOF flowers work for me but I can see Shirley’s points. This is a beautiful critter very nicely captured. >=))>

Beautiful capture of this butterfly. I would try a portrait crop just to see how that would look. I am thinking because of the tall wings. The color of the flower with the butterfly works for me.

Balan, this is a fine look at this small butterfly. The mix of colors (pink flower, whites and glowing magenta in the far wing) looks great. The details in the bf are excellent. I could possibly see going to a square or even vertical crop, but this looks very good as presented. Given the size of this bf and how close you had to be, I can’t see ever getting the head of the flower and the bf sharp without a many shot stack.