All Logs Point to Japan

This was shot on the western side of San Juan Island, WA and for the most part more whimsical than artistic. A long stretch of rocky beach littered with mounds of driftwood with these two pieces off the ground, pointing westward. They were interestingly out of place but gave context to an otherwise cluttered beach.

*Note -There was no way to tell if the logs were placed or haphazardly strewn by the tides.

Specific Feedback Requested

Everything is right about this image and most of it is wrong. Take your shots.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Essentially, this was shot with what is now more a toy camera than a professional grade, but at the time it wasn’t all that bad and certainly a step up from a D3200 or D5000.

D7000 with 18-105 kit lens, @18mm, f/9, 1/100, ISO 200

Post was smoothing out the BG to an even tonal range.

Image quality looks good to me and the composition is interesting. I think I’d crop out about half the BG and remove the halo around the dark blob.

1 Like

I believe there is an expression “a wall of fog”. This image exemplifies that in my opinion. I don’t sense any depth to the area above the ground and it seems as though the logs are next to a wall. There is dept along the shoreline, however. It gives the image a strange perspective.

1 Like