Beach Log Detail, Point Reyes

Image: Beach Log Detail, Point Reyes

Description: My eye is always drawn to the weathered logs littering the beaches of Point Reyes National Seashore.

Specific Feedback Requested: I’ve given this a diagonal treatment to punch up the composition, but what I really like is the coarse, multicolored sand decorating the log. Partly because of that color, I could see this as a large print, lit by a picture light – but I may have fallen in love with a subject which in the end, is not interesting enough to be called art!

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM1 MarkII, F9, 1/1250th, ISO400, 64MM.

1 Like

James, I think this is art! I have a fascination with old weathered logs too. I love everything about this image. The sharpness is perfect and the designs on the wood really draw me in. The beautiful multi color sand is also a big draw for me. Wonderful scene you captured.

I am hereby encouraged! Thanks. I liked your Moss Painting shot a lot. These small scenes have unlimited potential, and happily, they are all around us.

That’s so true.

This is really nice, James and I definitely would consider it as art! The texture of the sand really highlights the linear lines of the wood and the diagonal composition was a very good choice. Good eye to see the possibilities and a fine job of capturing the micro scene! A great choice for the challenge also. :+1:

Many thanks Gary. I would imagine there is no shortage of driftwood in your neighborhood, so I’ll have to do something really original: Make an all-macro photo trip to Alaska!