An explosion of light and dark

The weather system that is driving California’s fires has brought near record cold to the Rocky Mountains. Yesterday morning it was 3 degrees F in Mammoth Hot Springs, which means lots of mist coming off the hot springs and the delightful effects of that mist on the landscape. The effects as the mist passed this backlit Cedar tree were constantly shifting from a nearly clear view of the tree to being almost complete obscured. This is a moderately obscured view.

5D3, 24-105 @ 70, 1/100s, f/16, iso 200, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Mark, nicely seen and photographed. At first I thought you’d done a zooming effect, but unless I missed something in your comment it was based more upon the actual changing atmospheric conditions. Regardless, the outcome obtained was very neat and works nicely for the WC theme too. …:sunglasses:

Oooh, very cool. I, too, thought it was a zooming-type photo. Even better that it’s not.

Pretty dang cool image, Mark. Crazy looking light and shadow look. This really looks good.

Mark: Really nice way to take advantage of the conditions. Besides being pleasing to view this is also one of those images that can never be duplicated. My only suggestion would be to make the partial tree in the LLC go away by cropping of some careful cloning/CA fill. >=))>

I thought it was a zoom blur too. Great effect of atmospheric conditions very well captured. It is almost like a dreamy tree. Pure art!