Anåfjället + rework

REWORK based on comments

ORIGINAL

You want to photograph the jagged silhoutte of the Anåfjället mountain with a dramatic sky as a background. This was not the situation when I visited this area (Funäsdalen in Härjedalen, Sweden), so instead I tried to create interest by layers of light and shadow in the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

1/80, f/18, ISO 200. Olympus OM-D E-M1X with 40-150 lens @ 60 mm (120 mm equiv.). Handheld.

1 Like

Ola, I like the lighting in this one. Great timing. The light balances with the shadows to provide interest and depth. The clouds add some interest as well. I might suggest a slight brightening of the trees in the lower right, but not too much.

Wonderful scene and terrific capture.

1 Like

Ola, I think it’s beautifully made with all these layers of color !

Ola,

I just love the light that is creating all the lines, angles and graphics; between the trees, the ridge lines and the light/shadow, this a great moment in time.

Too bad the light didn’t come around and strike those autumn trees! Oh well, the rest of the scene more than makes up.

The only nit comment I have is that overall this seems pretty soft. Not sure if it’s a web thing or if the sharpness is just off because of being handheld? Windy? Not a huge deal, but becomes more visible in the larger view.

Lon

Very nice, with the geographical features very nicely lighted!! I think you could bring some contrast and saturation into the FG and the sky.

I like how you managed to get a nice image even with less than ideal circumstances. Because I’m only an English speaker and we don’t have diacritical marks, can you give us a pronunciation guide? I googled, but didn’t come up with anything.

But back to your picture. I could see playing with lifting the foreground foliage color a little bit - I’d try using the HSL panel and the luminosity sliders. Just to see if they open a little to be more of a welcoming presence rather than a barrier. Quite a dramatic landscape and again you’ve made me feel the need to visit.

@Kris_Smith, @Lon_Overacker, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @David_Bostock and @Diane_Miller thanks for your kind comments and advice.

Rework posted at the top: I have added some contrast to the FG and the clouds. Also increased the saturation and exposure of the trees in the FG.

I think you are right. Tried out the new Topaz Photo AI automatic sharpness increase for the rework.

1 Like

Excellent improvments Ola! Thanks for taking the time and considerations!

Ola the rework is stunning!

Love the rework, Ola. A major improvement. I really am enjoying all of the wedge patterns that were created by terrific light for this scene. It still looks a little bit soft but only when you bring up the larger version and it may just be the compression of the web. Beautiful image, Ola.

@Lon_Overacker, @David_Bostock and @David_Haynes glad you liked the rework.