"Arctic" Abstract

I’m not sure if this meets the criteria exactly for the weekly challenge, but the colors to me invoke a cold feeling. It’s one interpretation, I guess!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all. This is my first crack at something this abstract and would appreciate any feedback.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Focus stacked using 12 images in PS. Majority of processing in LR, other than a very low opacity orton effect on the blue channel.

Fuji 80mm Macro Lens
ISO 160
f/8.0
4.0s

@danielwoodmd
2 Likes

Dan, this is an intriguing abstract at least partly because the scale and subject material are well disguised. I could see this as anything from a macro shot of tree bark to an overhead landscape. The white line gives a good sense of flow, but there’s also plenty of color and texture beside it to keep me looking through the rest of the frame.

This is a captivating and intriguing abstract. I am quite enjoying the colors, textures and patterns. I don’t really get a cold feeling from it with its warm tones, but I like it.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Harley_Goldman for the feedback. I’ve never been so conflicted about posting an image here. I was lacking confidence in every element - color work, subject, etc. I’m so glad you both found it intriguing. @Harley_Goldman I really struggled with the color and thanks for pointing out the emotional impact of the warmer tones. Cheers to both of you!

Hi Dan, I think this is awesome! For abstract art, you nailed it! Because without you saying what it is, it truly is anyone’s guess. Lovely colors.

1 Like

Really appreciate the feedback! Thank you so much!

Dan, this is a really nice abstract. The colors and the sharpness capturing all of the texture and details is in it self very good, the frozen stripe diagonally makes the image stand out even more.

1 Like

No sense of size, no idea what I am seeing. But I don’t care, it is just a feast of forms and colours from pink to purple. I never get enough of such abstracts. This image can be enjoyed at different scales, there are a few large shapes and almost endless smaller shapes and figures when zooming in. Busy but not at all in an unpleasant way, I guess because of the colour harmony. Great find.

1 Like

A very enjoyable abstract, Dan. I think I’m with Harley on the main color scheme not portraying Cold, but I do like it. The white pattern down the center might be manipulated to create a greater sense of cold.

1 Like

@Igor_Hoveijn thank you so much for the words of encouragement and for sharing your experience. I’m thrilled you are enjoying it!

Thanks @Dennis_Plank! I thought that it might be a stretch in terms of ‘cold.’ The feedback I’ve gotten from NPN on color theory has been very helpful. It’s something I’m actively trying to learn and improve upon. I appreciate you and Harley pointing this out. It’s the best way to learn!