At twilight

It is time also for the Iris taken back lit after the sun was disappeared. A low exposition for enhancing the nice colors, the reflections, the light and color contrasts. The image was stolen in the garden of a neighbor.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anyone

What artistic feedback would you like if any? It’s too dark for you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

D850, Nikkor 200mm macro - 1/5, f/22, ISO 800. Two shots blended manually on PS levels for the depth.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Amazing colors in this image, Gigi. I never would have thought of trying a backlit image in such low light, but your results show that I need to think more broadly. A spectacular image and no nits from me.

Gigi: Wonderful concept superbly executed. I love the low key palette and colors. Got a nice :scream:meter spike from this one! >=))>

Love the colors. Well conceived and executed.

Thanks, you have answered my question, it is not too dark for you. For Alister Benn light contrast is all, in the colored world the light and color contrast is all.

Gigi
This is very unusual and striking! Bravo!

Gigi, the iridescence in the main petals is quite striking. The entire image is very dramatic. Excellent work!

A marvellous image, Gigi ! Superb colouring and a real feel of the night about it, that transforms the iris into a strange, almost surreal being.

Striking and dramatic take on an iris. Still, I would prefer more light to showcase the colors and details. Your vision of the scene is unusual and gives the dynamic mood you were looking for.