Autumn Fire

I was a bit behind trying to capture fall, but this one location had backlighting at the golden hour just before sunset that made the whole area seem on fire. Sometimes during fall color, I find the color can give sensory overload, and that’s what I tried to capture here.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Hand held. I did my usual minor adjustments in Capture One to try and get out of it what I felt like I saw. I often do a bit of shadow and highlight adjustment, levels, and clarity.

Karla: Great details in the largest version although its too big to be seen in its entirety on my screen. Nice job handling the backlight and the sun star. >=))>

@Bill_Fach - Hm. I’m not sure how I did that. Sorry about that. I did have to reduce this one to load it, but I didn’t realize there would be viewing issues. Thanks for your comments on the lighting and detail.

Karla, this is a fine, local take on fall with the backlit leaves glowing nicely. The color transitions from green at the bottom and the blue sky at the top add extra interest. The NPN larger display size is set by the pixel dimensions as you create when you do the JPG conversion. The suggestion is ~1600 pixels long axis, but that still overwhelms the short vertical dimension of most monitors.

Karla: Your image is 1890x2835 pixels. If you resize to a long side of 1500 pixels you still will have to scroll a portrait orientation image to see it at full resolution but at least the entire width of the image will be visible. Depending on your processing software you should resize before putting the final sharpening touches, copyright, etc. In PSCC when I import my RAW image after making my Lightroom adjustments my first step is to resize it and then make any adjustments and sharpening in PS. Once I’ve done my final work I export using the Save For Web dialogue and rename the image for posting. Just be sure that if you are asked to save changes to your original before exiting that you say NO or else your original image is going to be resized as well. Hope this helps and please feel free to contact me if you need clarification. >=))>

@Bill_Fach & @Mark_Seaver - Thanks to both of you for your comments on sizing. I can create a new export profile with the sizing. I do have a “reduced for web” version, but I’d have to check my dimensions. I think I get it, but the question always is “can I apply it?”. :smiley: If I can’t follow it when I try to set it up, I may be back with more questions.

Thanks for the comments also on the color, Mark.

Here is a reduced size version, if I did it correctly. It should be 1600 on the long edge. It was already set up, but I wasn’t using it when I exported from editing.