Autumns Last Stand

I processed this file shortly after capture in early December but have been fiddling with it ever since. Unhappy with the processing, I recently took the file a different direction reprocessing all the way back to the raw. I think it’s getting closer to what I envisioned. Interested in any feedback on processing and/or composition.

5DSR, Canon 70-200 @ 111, Lee .75 GND
f/16, .6 sec, ISO 100

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful shot, Dave. I love the lighting up in the clouds/fog over the snow capped mountains. Nicely done.

1 Like

Beautiful photo Dave. I especially love the pink sky and overtones. My suggestion would be to try to add some pop to the lower half, perhaps increasing midtone contrast, and/or increasing the whites and highlights.

1 Like

Thanks, Tony. This is very helpful. I think that definitely improves the image.

I really like this, Dave. It is a beautifully understated fall image. That said, I would boost the saturation in the yellows and reds in the trees, popping it further. It still retains the understated look, but it has more impact. Another nice one from the east side.

1 Like

Thanks, Harley. I bumped the vibrance up in the cottonwoods and I think it definitely improves the image.

1 Like

Great image, Dave. Have you tried processing it in B&W? Could be cool.

1 Like

Beautiful imagery Dave! I was thinking similar thoughts before reading the comments that the lower half lacked a little punch. But then I started thinking that given the time of day, light, etc., that the processing is quite spot on.

Having the seen the reposts, I do think there’s room for boosting the lower half of the image and think you’re on the right track.

Beautiful image Dave,

Lon

1 Like

I’m enjoying this a lot more than the previous images where the trees overwhelmed the mountains. Here there is more harmony between these two elements, although the oranges are starting to take over again in the last repost and look unnatural.

1 Like

I think the bottom appears flat to me even if realistic. The brush at the bottom looks fine but the trees could use some pop for me as the midband hills are pretty dull.
The sly is lovely.

1 Like

This is a beautiful scene which contains some gorgeous layering and light, Dave. For me the last version is the best; I could see you taking the bottom half of the image even further, but that is all subjective. Either way this is a beauty.

1 Like

This is a great photo and processing. If I were to suggest anything I would echo what others said. Get some more contrast or highlights out of the cottonwoods.

1 Like