Avocet Grooming

D800, 420 mm, handheld, ISO 280, 1/500 second, at 7.1. I mostly edited it LR. Any comments fair game. Trying for a non centered photo here to give the feeling of solitude. Does that work?

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This certainly works very well for me, Kathy. I really like the positioning of the bird in the frame. I do wish the bird is a little lighter, perhaps bringing the shadow slider on LR a little bit more to the right. I think this will look really good in B&W as well.

2 Likes

I really like the composition and the serene setting, IQ looks good. My critique matches Adhika’s. I’d lighten the bird a bit. I’d also like to see this larger!

2 Likes

Beautiful composition and nice pose by the Avocet. Image quality is quite good. I also wish that the birds were slightly lighter. If you have TK luminosity masks, that would be a good tool to bring out the plumage.

A lovely composition, Kathy. I think it does a good job of conveying the mood you were looking for. Given the quiet look of the image, I’d be careful about boosting brightness/contrast/saturation very much. I think it would be easy to lose the mood.

Thank you for comments @Adhika_Lie @Dennis_Plank @David_Schoen and @Lyle_Gruby! I had to have time to deal with those shadows because I did not want to make a universal change. So I opened up the shadows in a copy and then painted in the changes at different opacities.

An interesting technique with great results, Kathy. I don’t really understand how that works. Do you mean you created a duplicate layer? I wish your shoulder were healed because I’d love to see a tutorial on this technique.

Hi Dennis

I sure wish my shoulder was healed too!!! When I am corresponding as now I am left handing it. Slow going

I created a virtual copy in LR and adjusted shadows globally. Then I exported the original with the virtual copy into PS as layers. I masked out the virtual with black, then painted back in on the mask

Thanks, Kathy. I understand the process now. Interesting approach. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.