Back home at sunset

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking in a valley of the Gran Sasso mountain in the central-southern Italy at sunset I saw these cows that after wandering and eating for the whole day now are all gathering around home for the night. I liked above all the ondulations of the ground.

Technical Details

Zii - Nikkor 70-200mm at 170mm - 1/500- f16- ISO 800 freehand

1 Like

A lovely landscape, the textures are wonderful, and I like the overall light, subtle enough not to overpower the undulations. The one thing that doesn’t entirely work for me is the upper edge, I keep getting drawn up there curious about what is beyond the frame – I wonder if cropping the top edge just enough so that the hillock would become merely a left-to-right diagonal might not work better here?

Nice image. Indeed my eye immediately went to the undulations across the middle of the frame. From there my eye went down, then lastly up to the left with the rounded dome like feature. Nice composition.

Thanks Thomas and Paul. I really appreciated Thomas’ advice and tried it soon. I don’t know if the new version linked below is in line with Thomas’ idea but I think that the photo is surely improved anyway.