Back in the Owens Valley

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m always glad for a return visit to the Eastern Sierras and the Owens Valley. I took this image when I was returning home to Oregon up Hwy. 395 in March of this year.
The only negative to this trip though was that the highway ended up being closed north of Mono Lake due to snow and I had to go over and up through Nevada.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1/125 sec @ f10, ISO 320

5 Likes

Wonderful pastel colors, Chris! :slight_smile:

I love the layering in this from front to back and the shapely dark tree trunks add a great element of interest to the entire scene! :slight_smile:

Just a wonderful “Wow” image, Chris! :slight_smile:

This needs to be printed and displayed for all to see!

2 Likes

Hi Chris,
that looks fantastic. I love the subtle color palette and the overall painterly look.
The main trees stand out well against the background.

Well done!

Gorgeous, Chris. What a beautiful welcome home. Love the soft layers and how nicely the three trees are making a subtle appearance.

@Merv @linda_mellor @Jens_Ober Thank you for your kind comments.

The subtlety and softness (color-wise) in this image are wonderful. I like how the cluster of trees stand out, both from the foreground and background.

Love the muted tones and varied colors in the layers. Well seen!

@DeanRoyer @Paul_Holdorf Thank you! Those were the things that appealed to me.

@Merv I just had it printed and it turned out nicely. Now just have to get it framed.

That’s great, Chris! :slight_smile:

I would want it printed and on my wall, too and I’m sure my wife would feel the same way. :slight_smile:

Sometimes we take images that qualify as wall hangers and this is one of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a pile on here to say that the soft pastels and rendered very well in this scene, while the composition itself is really nice. Beautiful work!

Chris, the high-key, subtle tones are great! I do wonder if a very subtle burning-in of the shrubs and trees would add a hint of more color and detail without losing the high-key, dreamy feeling. Of course, without doing it myself, I’m not sure it would be an improvement…just food for thought.

Wow! This is an amazing image. How did I miss it? I’ll have to visit Weekly Challenge more frequently. This is one of those image where the image is more than what it is. There’s a dream like quality about it.

Lovely image Chris! I love the soft pastel colors which makes it feel like a Monet painting.

I’m late to the party, as I haven’t had time to visit NPN much lately, but I had to chime in.

@Igor_Doncov @Mark_Seaver @robertakayne @jefflafrenierre Thank you all for your comments and feedback. Always appreciated.

Really nice image. I dare say that there is little any tinkering if any for improving it. If you are looking for tinkering with it I would try to bring out the rust hue in the middle so to have the eye to focus on in the sea of pastel.

@Andre_Goforth Thanks very much for your comment.