Valley Gold

I have a deep personal connection to the Owens Valley and Sierra Nevada. During the winter months the Owens Valley is magical. The foliage takes on a wonderful palette of colors below the snow covered eastern escarpment of the Sierra. In sort of a second fall foliage season the cottonwoods turn golden in late November into early December. I captured this image shortly after sunrise in a small area that I’ve probably shot more than a dozen times over the last several years.
I’ve done a quick post process on this image in Lightroom and Photoshop and would appreciate any comments/suggestions on processing and/or composition.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Dave, in my opinion this is one of the best images you have presented at NPN 2.0, and that is saying a lot. The composition showcases the warm autumn colors of the trees and grasses. I’m amazed how many subtle variations in warm hues there are in the layers of grasses, and I love the light on the taller grasses in the LLC. Your processing of the light and color here is masterful. Please give Lon the directions to this location, he needs to be shooting meadow grass abstracts here :grin:

2 Likes

The side lighting has created some wonderful textures and layers to this lovely scene, Dave. The larger version is especially nice as it showcases a wonderful array of warm colors throughout the image. Gorgeous piece of work.

Love the shapes and the light on the leaves of these cottonwoods. The shadows on the grasses is great, as is their detail. The shadow in the background seems to dark when compared to other shadows. I would raise it without losing the texture back there if possible.

Dave,

This is simply gorgeous! Just beautiful how the grasses meander in to the scene framed by the beautifully lit trees (cottonwood?). I like that you included the bg slope as well and I like the contrast of the hillside in shadow. Maybe even include a sliver more? Love this!

Thanks for the mention @Ed_McGuirk! Yes, I would LOVE this area. I know the region so don’t need directions, just can’t get there during the time of year I would need to.

Beautiful Dave! I would lighten just a bit the grasses dead center, but otherwise, looks spot on to these old eyes. Looking at this image inspires me to have another great cup of coffee! :coffee:

Dave, classic Owens Valley scene and the low-angle light really brings out the colors and layers. I’m with you on the Valley and East side.

Dave, this is really a beautiful scene! The shadows and highlights are really well done Great work!

The layers with subtle variations on a color theme work really well, and I love the fine detail!

Another keeper. Great stuff.

aF

Dave, as already mentioned this is a wonderful and very recognizable Owens Valley look. I love that area of the sierras and you’ve photographed this in perfect side lighting to give the scene an optically positive viewing…:+1:

Just gorgeous, Dave. The light here is fabulous, and the details are nicely realized. The dark slope in the background is a nice touch and adds to the depth of the scene.
-P