Cottonwoods is the Hills

The Alabama Hills are probably better known for rocks than leaves, but the fall colors here can be very nice in November and even into December. This was taken last year at the north end of the Hills when the cottonwoods were at their peak.

All comments welcome.

D700, 24-70mm @ 98mm, f16 @ 1/25

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Rudy, this is some excellent Owens Valley color. I might try cropping out the white peaks and see how the comp changes. Doing a scroll crop, I find the crop pops the color a bit more. Either, nice take from the Alabama Hills.

Great Fall colors here. I agree with Harley I would crop it a little lower to try to get rid of the snow from the mountains as I find them to take my focus away from the trees.

Rudy, this is classic Owens Valley look, or more precise, Moffatt Ranch Road view. I love the very colorful array of autumn growth throughout. Again, Owens Valley at it’s best this time of year. …:+1:
I could also go for the crop. I think a bit leaning toward pano look in the end…:thinking:

btw: years back I shared the shot you took of the Mojave Green at the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It got me and my two brothers attention for sure. We encountered MANY diamond backs over the years, but no greens thankfully…:sweat:

Rudy, I’m really enjoying the wonderful layers you have here, and the warm/cool color contrast. Nicely done. I agree with the other’s comments about cropping away the white snow, and I would consider cropping a little from the bottom to reduce some of the complexity in the foreground plants. This would leave you with a panoramic format more like this…

Gorgeous Rudy! I kick myself for never going far enough south on my trips to the East side. I’ll have to make it a point some year…

Love the eye-popping color and also the layers created with the variety of vegetation. I’m a bit torn of cropping this at all. I can see the value and I suppose it’s really about your choice. If anything, may just a slight crop to remove the two dark notches on the upper edge? I don’t mind the snow and like the cool/warm color balance. I also like the extra room of vegetation at the bottom.

Beautiful scene.

Lon

Gorgeous, Rudy. I love this spot. I’ve been here multiple times in the winter but never in the fall. Have to make a point of going next November.
Wonderful warm colors and layering. Processing looks good to me. I think it is fine as presented but I could also see cropping the snow along the top of the frame. Personally, I would not crop any of the foreground.

Thanks for the comments. I was also going back and forth with the crop on the top.

@Paul_Breitkreuz I haven’t seen another Mojave Green yet, and I don’t think I’ve moved as fast since the time I almost stepped on that one. Thanks.