Badlands Bighorns

Got to spend two nights in the SD badlands, where we had a number of Bighorn sheep sightings. For this one I wanted lots of surroundings to show the rugged terrain, so I didn’t even try to get any closer.

Wow, this looks crunchy, even after I turned down the clarity…

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 400 mm, 1/80s, f/8, iso 400, tripod

Here’s a version with zero clarity and no sharpening during export…

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is the reason why it is sooo hard to spot these guys. This image highlights the kind of terrain where these guys live and I love the head turn of the one on the higher ground.

Mark, an excellent entry for the WC theme here for this week. I totally agree with Adhika and was going to hone in on that same point. Big Horns just seem to be best suited for this camouflaged terrain as they blend in so well. Along with bison, and my all time favorite prong horns, these guys are wonderful big game survivors…:+1:
The second image is my preference here for sure on the clarity aspect…:sunglasses:

Mark,

Small in frame, but big on the nature story. Paul said it well and I can only add adaptability as another characteristic of these mountain dwellers. Nice moment you were able to witness and capture.

Second version is a bit better although had you not said anything, it really didn’t look all that crunchy to me.

Lon

Mark: I’m OK with the crunchy first post since I’ve been there and that is exactly what the terrain looks like. We saw some bighorns on our visit there a number of years ago so this brings back good memories. Initially I thought this an odd environment for sheep but it looks like they thrive there. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

A nice choice for the challenge and a good capture of these sheep, Mark! Their color is a perfect camouflage for their habitat so they don’t stand out clearly but that’s what makes it real nature! I like the version without the sharpening but something between the two might be just right.