Balance!

We caught this juvenile Little Blue Heron on the drive from Savegre Lodge to the Pacific Coast in Costa Rica. I liked the obvious attempt to keep balanced (it succeeded) in this frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is the branch on the left too much? Anything else?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, from car, f/9, 1/2000, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped just a bit to 8032 x 5488. Taken at 11:44 AM on April 26th.

Can’t remember the last time I could balance on one leg like that, Dennis. Nicely seen and captured. The twig on the left is a bit bothersome, at least for me. Maybe crop just a bit to remove it? There would still be enough room for the heron to breath.

Wonderful capture – amazing pose and wonderful whites!!! He looks very intent – hope he got a nice meal! I’m 50-50 on the branch. Cloning it out would leave an empty area and cropping would cut into the leaves in the LL, which balance the bird. Since it’s color and tone matches the perch so well, that makes it nicely unified with the rest of the image. I love the draped giant leaf on the right!!

1 Like

Hi Dennis
I that brown thing in the right hand side of the frame bark of one of the trees? Well back to the juvenile Little Blue Heron. The exposure , eye contact, framing and color all look nice.
Peter

Now this tells a story. LOL I love the wing up and the legs getting all wobbly and going five different directions. The branch on the left is fine and actually balances the composition but it would also be easy to get rid of it if you so desired. Terrific whites with soft light.