Barely hanging on

Even dues are living, slowing laying claim to the land once home to flora. I had hiked about a mile and a half to get out into a more remote portion of Mesquite Dunes and was surprised to still see some of the brush trying to hang on to life. I am curious if any of these remnant plants come to life after some rain? A very unique and special place to photograph!

Technical Details
Is this a composite: No
Canon 5DIV, 600mm (300mm w/ 2x TC), 1/13 @ f/36, ISO 200

@keithflood

1 Like

Oh, very nice. I love the lone plants that poke up through the dunes there. I could see this with less at the top and more at the bottom, because the bottom dunes, in the light, have more interest to me. It is a special place to photograph.

Very nice, Keith. An excellent choice for this week’s challenge. If I recall some of the information I’ve read correctly, some plants are actually adapted to this kind of regime and can survive being covered and uncovered.

Keith, the isolated shrub makes a compelling contrast to all of the detailed ripples in the foreground. I also like the soft, rippled, oof dune in the distance.

What’s not to love about this image, Keith. The great patterned detail in the sand is mesmerizing. The lighting and composition are spot on and the shrub off in the distance is just icing on the cake. Very nicely done.

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley, I can’t wait to get back there!

That is amazing @Dennis_Plank and I guess I should not be surprised Mother Nature has figured a way for shrubs to survive in this environment!

@Mark_Seaver The more I look at this image, the more I would prefer to have the shrub reversed and on the left vs the right. Probably does not make a difference but its just what my brain wants. :thinking:

Thank you @linda_mellor, much appreciate your comments!

1 Like

From the color, I thought this was White Sands. You captured some amazing light for the Mesquite Dunes – and your long hike (or slog – we need snowshoes there) was rewarded with no footprints! But I’m with @Bonnie_Lampley in wishing for less on the top and more on the bottom (if possible).

Thank you @Diane_Miller I do like yours and @Bonnie_Lampley perspective on the more FG and less BG, that much BG does not really add much to this. Plus you can never have enough sand wrinkles, ripples, or cow bell.