Barents Sea in february

The picture looks very summery, even though in February in northeastern Norway, the weather is rough with strong winds and frost

Specific Feedback Requested

All

Technical Details

Canon Eos 5D mk4 + EF 16-35/4 Exposure 6sec / Nisi Landscape polarizer + nd64 + gnd 3 stops medium

Hello Jorma!

Thanks for taking part in the guest critique with me!

I can definitely feel, the movement in this scene. I like to feel elements like this, as you have described in your description! You have a lot of great elements working together here. I like like the placement of the runoff of the water leading into the cascades, then out to that turbulent sea…not a bad sky either!

The overall composition works for me. If you have another file, that does not have the huge wave on the horizon on the left, I might try to use that file instead. It is slightly distracting as it is competing with those awesome crepuscular rays. I think there can be some tweaks in the processing that can help the image out. The first thing that I noticed right away is the cyan/blue color cast. I would try and warm the scene up…slighty, but I think just desaturating the blues alone could help this image out tremendously. I would like to see the sky a little more “neutral” and I think you’d see the difference by just those blues being desaturated. Being that your scene has more cooler tones, the red rock in the foreground stands out quite a bit. Again, real simple fix. You can either use the HSL sliders in LR or ACR. Use the target adjustment tool for accurate selection of that color. Lastly, the last thing I would do, is bring down the overall exposure of the entire scene. Feels on the bright side, but this could be preference as well. Hope this helps Jorma!

DT

Thank you David for the encouraging and interesting comments. Unfortunately, it is not possible to change the picture because even though there are dozens of frames, only this one has everything right. The original is indeed darker and my pictures always get lighter when I post them here on the forum