Barred Antshrikes

Female

Male

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had a lot of luck with spotting and photographing birds on our way to the haunt of the Red-breasted Meadowlark. This pair were two of my favorites from a very productive roadside stop.

Specific Feedback

Are the bright areas in the background too much?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod, f/9, iso 4000, 1/1000 for both images. Preprocessing in DxO PureRaw 4, processing in LR & PS CC.

Female cropped to 4290x3294, Male to 4458x3228. Taken 15 seconds apart at 9:32 a.m. on February 20th.

2 Likes

Dennis, I find it easier to look at the photo of the male because of the BG. I’m unsure how to manage that bright BG in the female’s frame. These are both very handsome collections of feathers!

Hi Dennis, I like the similar poses you captured on these birds. Nice over the shoulder looks with a good view of the back and underside. Nice details throughout on the birds. DXO PureRaw 4 is working very well for you.
Like Barbara stated, the BG for the female shot is a bit overpowering to me. Not sure what to do with it unless you felt like attempting a replacement of some sort. They are still both fine images.