Basalt On The Beach

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I think the angle of the basalt ridges above the two figures on the lower right create a dramatic and dynamic quality to this image.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This is an Infrared image. I used a 590 super color filter on my full spectrum camera to capture this image. I then converted the super color image to black and white. I like taking the sky here and in other such images to a nearly black tone when using IR. The couple on the lower right were taking pictures of the surf crashing along the black sand beach behind me in Iceland. I was planning on removing them, but decided that the sense of scale they add to the scene adds to the dramatic effect I was visualizing.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS RP Full Spectrum Conversion with 590nm super color internal magnetic filter.
Lens: RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM @ 24.0 mm, f/4.5, 1/1250 sec. ISO 400. Edited with Photoshop and Camera Raw.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

Robert, the clouds, especially, add very well to the sense of drama here. This feels nicely “dark and stormy”, until I see the two people tilted so dramatically down in the corner. Then I get distracted by wondering about how much distortion is included in the overall view. I do like seeing the flying bird silhouettes in the larger view, they are a fun addition to the scene.

Thank you, Mark. Like I said in my description, I almost removed them, do you think the image would be better without them?