Icelandic Reflection

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

For the time our workshop was there, this seemed to be the usual “Light” we experienced in Iceland. I actually in several ways prefer the diffuse light of an overcast day.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This captured reflection was along one of the Black Sand beaches in Iceland. From a standing position the reflection was only hinted at. I had to kneel down on the sand and actually hold the camera practically at the water’s level to capture the image seen here.

Technical Details

Camera: Canon EOS R5. Lens: RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM , f/11.0 @ 15.0 mm. for 1/6 sec. ISO 100. Edited with Photoshop and Nik 6 Color Efex .

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcomed.

The soft overcast light is perfect for this composition Robert. The clouds create some nice drama in the sky and the reflection is another wonderful element in this landscape. Lots of details to enjoy in the mountains as well. Beautifully done. Iceland looks like a beautiful place.

Robert, the near perfect reflection and the striking angularity of the mountains make a very striking picture.

Thank you Ed for the very kind words. Robert

Thank you Mark for the kind response. Robert

What a dramatic composition, with a perfect sky and wonderful tonalities! Excellent idea to get down low and capture the reflection!!

Robert: This is terrific. The light brings out all the color and textures of the landforms and there is just enough interest in the sky to be the perfect complement. I like this much better than the typical blue sky that we see so often with reflections. Makes me want to go there! >=))>

A beautiful image of a place very well known to photographers in Iceland.
The reflections on the water add to the size of the landscape.
It’s a place you can return to thousands of times without being disappointed, and which always produces beautiful images.
I would have liked to see a bit more to the right and left, up and down.
In any case, congratulations on this photograph.

Thank you, Diane. I’m still thinking about getting into Astro Photography. Robert

Thank you, Bill. Iceland is indeed a place to visit for photography. It reminds me a lot of Yellowstone NP without the trees. There are no real forests in Iceland. Robert

Thank you, Jean for your kind words. I hope that addressing you in this manner is OK. Please correct me if not. Robert

No problem.
I really like the photography location.
I’ve been there several times and the landscape is always different…

You are right Jean. Beautiful snow covered dunes here in these photos. I’m thinking that you may live in Iceland to be able to capture these photos of varying weather conditions? Robert

Robert, as several have already commented, I agree it’s a lovely image! The mood of the scene is wonderful, and the clouds add gesture to the sky. I might like to see a tad more on the right, perhaps, as the line where the mountains peter out seems a bit cut off, but then again there may be a good reason for that - other distracting elements? In any case it’s a great study!

Thank you for the very kind words Brenda. As I reviewed the original image, there is nothing I would change about this crop. In fact I was barely able to include what I felt was the most impactful areas of this photograph with the 15 mm focal length I had available to me without resorting to a panoramic capture that, in my opinion, would not have added anything of visual interest and may well have diminished what I was trying to convey with this image. That being said I do wonder if a fish eye wide angle lens would have created an interesting alternative? Robert