Bee on Cornelian Cherry

Cornus officinalis is the first tree to flower in the garden. Bees, hoverflies and flies are greatly attracted to it.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mmf2.8 macro 1/200 f14 ISO 400

Large crop. Denoise and PS Shadows and Highlights. Removed a lower flower.

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

Wow! What a great shot!

It’s great all around, can I just leave it at that?

Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

Precisely what Mervin said. Beautiful!

Wonderful detail in the bee, Mike. I love how the angle of the bees’ legs and the flower stem play off of each other. . . . are going in the same direction. . . creates a nice flow. Beautifully done!

Mike, what an excellent bee shot! I tried my hand at it this week, and didn’t do so well. This is excellent in every way. That BG just makes him and the flower pop. Wonderful details.

I agree with the others,Mike. Excellent shot and great composition. The position of her is also well place. The details came out very well.

What a delight! Seems like a honeybee so it’s a treat. Outside of agricultural areas, we don’t have a ton of these up this way, but last year I noticed many in the yard so maybe a hive split, swarmed and found a home nearby.

Terrific sharpness and angle. I like the space around her and the perfect angle. A few more months and we’ll have some, too. Not sure I’ll be this successful!

Stunning! Wonderful detail on the bee, and the OOF areas in the bud are perfectly inconspicuous. The BG color sets off the warm golds of the bee perfectly.

Hope we’ll see more of this as it flowers!

Terrific in every way, Mike. I had a Cornelian Cherry Dogwood in my yard for many years, but it finally died. I miss it. Nicely done.

Thanks very much @Jim_Gavin @Shirley_Freeman @Merv @terryb @Kris_Smith @linda_mellor @Dean_Salman @Diane_Miller for your kind comments. @Diane_Miller , yes, I’ll post another with the buds open very soon!

2 Likes

Mike: Not sure how one would improve upon this unless the BG was a bit more colorful but this does set off the details in the bee and the bloom superbly. Most excellent! >=))>

1 Like