Before the Storm

Imperial Beach, CA. This is my favorite beach to photograph since it isn’t over-packed with people most of the time. I wanted to try out using a ND filter for the first time to capture soft motion in the waves.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:
D750, 35mm @1.6s, f/11 ISO 100

Welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge forum, Melissa. I like the sense of motion in the water and the translucent effect of the surf wash over the sand. The way the point enters the frame does a nice job of adding structure to the image.

Melissa, welcome to NPN! This is a lovely first post. The frothy swash fits very well with the rugged rocks and especially the stormy skies. I also like the ripples in the water on the right. You’ve conveyed a moody day at the shore very well.

Melissa, welcome to NPN! This is a very nice first post. I love the cloudy sky, and the motion of the surf. Perfect! Looking forward to seeing more of your photos.

Very nice, Melissa! The blurred water in this image clearly demonstrates the movement as it flows back to the sea yet for some strange reason (at 1.6s) you managed to stop the distant waves with fairly sharp detail. An interesting phenomena! Good choice for the challenge and welcome to NPN!