Begonia #1

The range of pastels attracted me to this flower. As an aside, there won’t be a #2, as there was a recent freeze. This is an in camera stack.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/60, f/4 and ISO 400

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Lovely color in this tuberous begonia. I am attaching a little different crop which eliminates the petal tips kissing the edge of the frame. I also added a little sharpening.

Beautiful subject well captured. Patricia’s crop eliminates some competing elements from the corners and brings attention to the very interesting center.

Diane and Patricia: thanks for your comments and for the alternate crop which I like. Richard

Richard: I’m impressed by the stacking capabilities of your camera. I do prefer the frame filling crop but this is a really nice capture of the petal details and colors. Nicely done. >=))>

My camera doesn’t have in camera stacking. This is very well done stacking. Lovely colors brought out well. before I saw the crop by Patricia, I was going to suggest the same. Looks a lot better. I love the subtle variation of colors.

Richard, the subtle shifts in color (and possibly the in-camera stacking algorithm) give this view a very subtle softness, especially in the smaller view. The large view shows good sharpness. I like the extra petal showing in the upper right corner as that tells me there is at least one more of these lovely blooms. I do see a stacking artifact in the shadow area of the petal that nearly touches the top center of the frame. The lack of a sharp edge on that bloom is what I call and overlap artifact because if both what’s in front and what’s behind are not sharp in the same frame, there will always be an thin oof area between the sharp front bit and the sharp behind bit.

I’m also a fan of the second crop. Nice job on the stacking. The colors seem a little flat and perhaps some adjustment using luminosity masks would help make this image pop a little.