Bison Calf - Edited

!

Edited

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This calf had just crossed the river in the Lamar Valley and was running to catch up to his momma.

Specific Feedback

Looking at it here I feel like this could use more space in front of the calf. I cropped it from a landscape aspect to a portrait and cut it off at the tail end of momma.

Technical Details

Canon R5, f10, iso 1000, 100-500+1.4tc at 631 mm. Cropped to portrait at about 40% of original. Topaz denoise and sharpen.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Ed: this is a good shot showing the animal’s struggle to exit the river. You might consider burning the bright background a bit and checking for level.

Thank you @Richard_Sandor for your help on this. I was thinking the BG looked a bit skewed, but just thought that was the river going downhill a bit. It looks better rotated a bit, and definitely looks better with the BG darkened a bit more. I also didn’t like the purple cast to the water so I tried to desaturate the reds and magentas, and increase saturation in the blues. It turned more grey, which I’m OK with.