Blue Dasher dragonfly, female

Seen on my trip to the cypress swamp this past weekend. Background in this image is a cypress knee.
And here’s the same dragonfly with a head turn:

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x TC II
ISO 400, f14, 1/160s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Love the colors and composition - especially in the one with the head tilt. The symmetry of the wings, head and branch have a perfect balance. great shot!

Allen, I agree with EJ, the second shot is your best. That head turn just makes it. Great sharpness all the way in the Dragonfly, and a nice background that compliments him. Great shot.

I love 'em both, Allen. Detail seems a little better to me in the first shot? But the head turn is great. Nice work.

Best,
Terry

Allen, the details and the colors look great in both. In #1, her abdomen is a bit sharper, but the head tilt in #2 is good for some extra attention. In #2, I think some burning of the bright triangle in the lower left corner would be good.

2 Likes

Allen: I do like the head turn and it looks like there is a touch more detail in the eyes. Overall though I thin I prefer the sharper body and wings on the first. Perhaps Photochop off her head on #2 and put it on #1? :wink: The BG works great on both. Nicely done x2.>=))>

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the critiques. This is a banded hairstreak as the post median band is very narrow while hickory hairstreaks have a thicker post median band on the fore wing. Both species have bluish, silvery scales that edge the bands.

@Jim_Zablotny, hi! I think you posted the above comment in the wrong thread.

Oops, I certainly did post in the wrong critique. Your blue dasher is nicely done with the brown background. Wings are nice and sharp which is difficult to achieve due the length of the wingspan. I especially like the one with the head turn. It is good to have a very short exposure set as they can snap the head back quickly in hundredths of a second. Well done…Ji.

Very nicely done Allen. Still have a hard time trying to photography these guys. Nicely done.

I like both - more details in the abdomen in #1, but the head tilt in #2 is a great pose that I don’t see very often. Nice colors and composition in both. Like the details in the eyes in both. Agree with Mark about L lower corner in #2.