Blue Gramma seeds

I’m going through old files, preparing a new computer, where I ran across this 2013 picture of a Blue Gramma (Bouteloua gracilis) seed head with ripening seeds still attached. In the short grass prairies this grass grows to about 9 - 12 inches tall, which is shorter than many of the other short grass species, so you need to get down and look carefully to find the seed heads.

(5D3, 100 mm f2.8L macro, 1/60 s, f/8, iso 400, tripod)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I love this, Mark. Great detail in the seed heads. I am not familiar with this grass, but I think you did a wonderful job presenting it to those of us who didn’t even know it existed. I may have walked right through some of it before. We miss so much of our world (especially the tiny and insignificant things).

Mark: Good find and a fine capture. I especially like your DOF management and the BG. Looks like pennants in the wind. :+1::+1:>=))>

I like the subject, Mark, particularly the upper seed head. The up-down, left-right composition doesn’t work so well for me however. My eye has a hard time moving through the image. I’m thinking just the upper part of the stem and flowering seed head would make a more interesting comp, but that’s just my point of view.

Nice little subject and a nice comp of such a simple plant.