Seen up close

Who bends down on the ground for looking with attention the small wild flowers in the fields may be compensated by very nice and unexpected details. Here this field grass is a borrage and it is starting now its flowering season.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anyone

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Anyone

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

D850, Nikkor 200mm macro - 1/6, f/22, ISO 250 - Manual blending of two shots in PS levels for the DOF.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Guiseppe: this is a beautifully composed photo with the flower itself standing out so very nicely against the background. My only nit would be that the b/g appears near grey in color and might benefit from a change to a more complimentary color. What do you think? Richard

Beautiful, Gigi. The detail is amazing and I see no evidence of your manual blend. You called this field grass. Is it a true grass? Iā€™d love to see a shot of the rest of the plant, just to see what produces such an exquisite bloom.

Gigi: You have a knack for finding unique subjects and then capturing them superbly. I could see a more high key BG but this works very well for me as is. Most excellent. >=))>

Richard I never replace the background so I donā€™t want to change its color. What I could do is to light the sky behind that I have darkened for a more intimate image. Thanks Richard for your comment and suggestion.

Your flower has a delightful painterly feel Giuseppe. I like the understated blue/grey BG. For me, it keeps the flower with its radial design from starkly jumping off the page . JT

Dennis I am sorry but I have nothing bigger than this of this plant. Thanks for the comment and your interest.

Thanks, Gigi. It looks familiar. I suspect itā€™s identifiable from this.

Dennis forgive me thanks to you I have now realize that I have missed to write the name of the field grass, it is a borrage. We eat all leaves and flowers.Thanks.

I knew it looked familiar, Gigi. Thank you.

Most striking image, Gigi - it has your signature all over it. Amazing to see your shot of the whole plant and then to look again at the close up youā€™ve achieved. Bravissimo !!

1 Like

Beautiful image, Gigi! I know the plant but didnā€™t recognise it at first. Very well done!

Gigi
This is quite wonderful. A flower that few of us have paid attention to. The detail on something this small is simply stunning.
Iā€™m of the camp of wanting to see what a white background would look like here if it were mine. It might be too stark as some of the posters suggest but it might also show off those little hairs more. As rendered, however, it is quite lovely.

Gigi, I am coming in late on this one, but must say both the image of the full plant as well as the one tiny bloom are both very nice images. Well done.

Hi Gigi,

I like this flower photo as presented. The blue is intense, but not oversaturated. This plant reminds me of one of the flowers (Borage) I grow in the garden for honeybees. Well doneā€¦Jim

Would never had recognized the close-up of the flower. Thanks for posting the full version of the entire plant. Intricate detail is amazingā€¦ love the details of the ā€œhairsā€. Well done.