Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Only slightly larger than a hummingbird, this tiny beauty uses it’s long tail to flick about and stir up insects as it hops around inside deciduous trees and bushes. It will occasionally fly out and hover to catch insects in mid-air. Sometimes called “Little Mockingbird” due to it’s ability to mimic other birds’ songs. This little dynamo is nearly always on the move, and nearly always hidden in the interior of trees and shrubs, making them difficult to photograph. I photographed this female in my yard in NE Oklahoma.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 300mm, f/11, 1/750 sec., ISO 2500, Ev -0.5 step, Hand Held. Processed in Canon DPP, Photoshop Elements, and Topaz De-noise lightly applied.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Terry, I like the pose of this beauty. I’m sure not easy to catch such a small subject that likes to be on the move. You handled the dappled light quite well. I’m okay with the background but the bright leaves with glare above the bird draw my eye. Details seems okay on the bird though not super sharp. A fine image overall.

Hi, Allen. I agree about the bright leaves; I’ll tone those down. I agree the bird isn’t super sharp, partially due to a large crop, I’m sure. Thank you.

A good capture of this Gnatcatcher, Terry, especially considering the difficult lighting situation. I’m thinking it would have been a little cleaner shot if you had used a more open aperture (probably f/8.0) which would have allowed you to get more shutter speed plus lower the ISO for less noise.

Thanks, Gary. You’re probably right; f/8 would have been a better choice.