Bluethroat at Dawn

The Bluethroat has been one of my favourite subjects over the last two weeks. Arriving before dawn, and waiting for things to happen, which resulted in different shots… Thanks for any feedback and wishing all a nice Easter, despite the current situation. Stay healthy and safe ! Best, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm f4 | 1/500s | f4 | ISO320 | underexposed 2/3EV | monopod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Wonderful lighting; great colors of the environment that work well with the bird. There’s a circular area in the background on the left that I could see cloned out. Lovely shot.

1 Like

Hans, this is a lovely shot of this Bluethroat in his environment. The lighting is sweet, with the rim around the bird. The BG is really complimentary (except for the place Allen mentioned, which I agree, but not a game changer). Love that you caught his beak open in his song.

1 Like

I love the light and soft background. Harmonious colours too. I wonder if it would work to flip it horizontal?
And a very nice Easter to you too.

1 Like

This is a fantastic image. You’re inspiring me to shoot more backlit this year. Only suggestion is to add a very slight vignette, something like the below:

1 Like

Hello Lyle, that works indeed. Actually the original image had a little vignette due to my lens - so I press ‘lens correction’ as a default when shooting the 500mm - but I may as well left the original vignette in :wink: … Cheers,

Thanks @Allen_Brooks and @Shirley_Freeman - I removed the circle, that makes sense indeed.
@jaapv: I guess that could work equally well :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a lovely portrait and I think everything works well - lighting, composition, and interesting plants at the base of the composition. The only thing that catches my eye is the circular area in the background that others have mentioned. I think that softening it a bit would improve the background a small bit. Otherwise, this is a lovely photo.

1 Like

This is quite the series of three Bluethroat photos you have given us Hans. The first I believe had the puff of breathe on a frosty morning, and the second the bird was much larger in the frame with full front lighting showing all the colors and detail. This one with the bird so small in the frame and the lovely bg and plants the bird is perched on. Very moody. And no rule of thirds with so much room around the bird. Lovely. I have to say I am just a little bit greedy and would have liked to see a bit of light on the little bird. But it was not there that morning. A very fine shot.

1 Like

I love the warm back-lighting in this shot and it has a very 3-D appearance. Another fine image in this series of yours, Hans!

1 Like

I love this image! So simple. Beautiful colors.

Beautiful image Hans. Great that the bird perched on the highest branch here. Terrific complementary background and overall color scheme. A beauty.