Early morning Bluethroat

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Guiding a photographer from Luxemburg, yesterday morning I suggested try and shoot back-lit birds in the reeds. Arriving at sunrise, the sound of all the song birds was mesmerizing. As a bonus we got some nice shooting ops as well. I like this Bluethroat on top of the golden-looking reed plumes.

Specific Feedback

Should I crop and get the bird larger in the frame, or does it work like this?

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 with 500mm and 1.4 TC @ 700mm | 1/1250 s | f5,6 | ISO2000 | monopod. I selectively lightened the bird a bit in post processing.

Hello, This is beautiful. Well worth the early arrival! The backlight reeds are also mesmerizing. I love that the bird is small in the frame…though it might be a bit small…i might try cropping about 25% from the left. You state you brightened the bird a bit…can you go any further… tricky I know because you don’t want it to look front-lit. Well done!

This one takes some looking at, Hans, and that’s a very good thing. I like the crop as posted and interestingly the bright grass head on the right doesn’t disturb me at all in this case. Like Robena, I think I’d bring the Bluethroat up just a tiny bit more.

This is a great setting, so I wouldn’t want to crop the image, but agree with the others about brightening the bird if possible-it seems to get lost against the dark background.

Thanks @Robena.Sirett , @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Brooks for your suggestions as to brightening the bird a bit. I seems hardly noticeable here, but in LR I can see the difference. Thanks again !

I can see a difference and I think it helps.

Oops…I meant to suggest 25% from the right!

Nice job on the repost, Hans. I had to flick back and forth to be sure, but it was definitely an improvement. It didn’t take much and I’m glad you kept it minimal.

A wonderful opportunity! If your usual IQ held up here, I think I’d prefer the bird being a bit bigger in the frame, as it is a bit lost with the backlight. I like the way you lightened it and would probably see if I could go even further.

Hi Hans, great setting for this bird and nice that it’s singing. You really know how to catch the light for a dramatic effect. I like the repost best - a little tweak that makes a real difference. I like this crop as posted but I think one tighter could be dynamic also. Nice work!

Thanks for your comments, for your reference I also include a tighter crop @Robena.Sirett , @Diane_Miller and @Allen_Sparks . Cheers!

I like the crop! There is still plenty of environment but I can appreciate the gorgeous bird better. Maybe if it was a silhouette the smaller in the frame version would be better.

1 Like

The crop works very well also, Hans, though I do miss that bright patch on the right of the looser version. I don’t know why, but I really like it there.

1 Like