Boiling Clouds

My buddy and I camped on a mountain top off the Highway 395 corridor and sunset came with howling winds, smoke from a fire burning somewhere to the west and lenticular clouds 360 degrees around us. It was a top 5 sunset that I have witnessed in my lifetime, but it was not one that lent itself to photography (which did not really disappoint either of us, we just enjoyed the moment). We enjoyed single malt and a heck of a show, with an occasional image tossed in.

D810, 70-200mm

1 Like

That is a beautiful cloud, Harley. I think boiling clouds is a great name for this image.

Surreal. It has an other worldly feel

Harley, absolutely stunning. The eastern sierra 395 corridor has produced some amazing cloud spectacles over the years. Although I’ve only witnessed a few and photographed a couple, I’ve also enjoyed seeing others from folks who have posted here at NPN over time.
I can truly see your point about it being in your top 5 too. This one would surely be one I’d loved to have witnessed in person…:+1:

Epic, Harley. The color and intensity are off the charts.

What a dramatic cloudscape! I’m a sucker for red so this one draws me in right away. The little bit of virga beneath the clouds adds a nice touch. The lighter blue tone at the bottom of the frame provides a nice balance to the intense reds and blues above.

Spectacular sky here Harley. Hard to suggest anything here, processing, color/sat/contrast - all look awesome. The only thought, was wondering if there is any more room at the bottom? I suspect it’s cropped/captured at this line for a reason. No biggie.

Intense would be another description.

Lon