Bracing the Storm

I was able to capture this shot, while snowshoeing on a cold and stormy winter day. The weather station on the opposite mountain was constantly moving in and out of the clouds. With a little patience, I was finally able to press the shutter at the right time.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Single exposure @ 400mm | f11 | ISO 400 | 1/400s
Basic edit in Lightroom and some dodging & burning in Photoshop

martinmaier_photography

Martin, this is a great image. As you said, you found the exact point in time when the cloudes and the light where perfect. A good balance between parts in shadow and in sunlight. The texture on the ground in the foreground adds to the image.

1 Like

The darker triangle in the foreground and the ridge line do a great job of leading the viewer’s eye into the frame, Martin. That snow blowing off the peak certainly gives it a very cold look-too cold for these old bones.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’m glad that this exposure was sharp because I have a lot of blurry versions of this shot. The light on the weather station only lasted for a few seconds. So I guess I was very lucky to capture this :smiley:

Martin, that snow covered weather station adds a lot to the coldness. The leading line of the ridge and the details in the foreground complete a good looking view.

1 Like

Looks like this weather station might have been more of a whether or not station, Martin! Excellent & well timed capture with great leading & perspective lines that provide a good sense of height & distance. The exposure is right on also, as it maintains the detail in the highlights. Speaking of details, the large version is particularly nice and if you click on it twice you can zoom in to see the details of the station. Great choice for the challenge!

1 Like

@martinmaier_photography - I like the double triangle you have here with the dark one in the foreground that has texture and the triangle formed by the peak in white and connected with the line of the ridge. I do think that wind on an open mountain looks and sounds really cold. I haven’t been out in the far north winter temps, but locally I find the worst part of cold (for me) to be a biting wind.

1 Like