Bridal Veil Falls Blowing in the Wind

This is a crop and B&W conversion of a grand landscape made in 2009. Any comments for improvement are appreciated.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D80, 200mm, 1/4 sec., f32, ISO 100

1 Like

Larry,

I actually had to do a couple double-takes because I thought for sure this was backwards! I actually had to reference some of my images and finally realized what I was seeing - and more importantly the direction from where this image was captured. You see, most of my images and my references are just east of the parking lot where the water appears to be coming off more left to right, so I got confused. But of course when one is west/south of the falls - ie. like driving up 41 towards Tunnel view… then of course you get this viewpoint. ANYWAY…

Bridal Veil is a great subject for going black and white and this looks really good. I like the contrast and the whispy-ness of the falls is very appealing. I also like how you’ve framed the base with the pine trees.

The only nit or suggestion I have, would be a wish for a bit more detail in the black areas on either side of the water. Yeah, I get the rock face is naturally dark there and so that does present exposure challenges. If you have any texture/detail in the raw file you might try bringing some of that out. I don’t know if you have TK’s panels or any of his actions - but this would be a great image to play around with the Dark’s Triple Play. I can see in the larger view that there is texture in most of those darker areas. That’s really the only suggestion I have.

It’s a great view of the falls - oh, and I like the area above the falls being revealed from the higher vantage point; that works really well.

thanks for sharing!

Lon

Lon, Thanks for your detailed response to this image. We were first time tourists to Yosemite, so the directions and orientation you mention is tough for me to process. I’m pretty sure I captured this from the viewpoint at Tunnel View. I did some serious cropping.

I’ve included a rework of the image using TK’s Darks Triple Play with darks 5 masks. Wow, what a difference the TP makes. I reduced the opacity to about 70%. What do you think now? Thanks for the small nit. It makes all the difference and is good practice for me using Tk’s actions.

Beautiful scene! I like the contrast between the white water and the dark background.
I’m curious about Darks Triple Play. Is it an action in TK’s panel?
Well done!

Thanks for chiming in on this @Mark_Muller . Yes Triple Play is a TK action in the combo panel. There is Darks Triple Play and Lights Triple Play. I’m pretty new to the TK masks and panels, so I am not one to give advice. I suggest you look at Dave Kelly’s tutorial video on Triple Play. Here’s the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv7LTaCOPQY

Thanks again for your reply.

1 Like

Really beautiful image,Larry! I love black and white and I like how it emphasizes the spray of the falls and the dark wet rocks behind them. I’ve never been there so have no point of reference for angle. I really like the rework too, it also seems to bring out more details in the trees as well. Nice capture!

Thanks for the link. Me too, I’m a beginner with the TK panels, just getting used to the basics.

Thanks, Vanessa. It is interesting that the original color image had little if any interest. It took over 10 years of seeing photographically for me to grab the vision I wanted to convey. It did work fairly well. I appreciate your compliment.

1 Like

Another option:

1 Like

Thanks, Igor. I like your crop too. Larry