Buckeye Butterfly

This is a buckeye butterfly taken at the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Maryland. Any feedback appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Fuji 50-230mm lens with Nikon 5T diopter

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Shawn, nice catch of the farther wing and body. Love these buckeyes. I’d suggest moving the butterfly off center by cropping some on the left and perhaps include more on the right. I like the background overall with the complimentary yellow and green. I could see darkening and slightly desaturating the yellow petal right below the head and also the petals in lower center. My favorite butterfly - thanks for posting.

A nice look at this Buckeye, Shawn. I agree with Allen on his suggestions. It is a good shot as it is, but I do believe with those edits it can improve it even more.

Fall is a great time for Buckeyes and this is a colorful look at this one. The pose and the details in the flower’s center look very good. I do think that everything is a bit oversaturated.

Shawn: Welcome to Macro and thanks for a fine first post here. I’m OK with the saturation, comp and BG. I especially like that the head and eye details are sharp. A fine subject nicely captured. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of your work here. >=))>

Thanks everyone for your comments. As always I learn a lot. I enjoy macro and will post more.