Common Buckeye Butterfly

Seen this afternoon in the wildflower field behind our house. My favorite butterfly and one I rarely catch with the camera. I believe the flower is wild aster.

Canon 90D, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x TC III
ISO 640, f18, 1/500s, hand held

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

2 Likes

Outstanding, Allen. I have never seen one of these butterflies live. You captured it beautifully. I like the fact it’s on the wildflowers, too.

Allen, this is a nice look at the Common Buckeye. We have them around here too. Nicely angled in the frame, and the inclusion of the flower he is on. I was a bit confusion though at my first look, with the oof focus flower beneath the BF, I was thinking it was some kind hairs coming from him. Finally realized what I was seeing. Nice BG to make him stand out.

Allen: One of my favorites too although I haven’t seen any this season in our garden yet. Superb plane of focus management and a terrific capture. Most excellent. >=))>

Great shot Allen, These butterflies are in my gardens now. I too was a little confused at first on the wildflower under the head. I wonder sometimes on the process of enlarging a photo until some type of minor anomaly occurs.

Gorgeous Allen. Love the shape of the flower that the butterfly has landed on. Great detail, OOF background and composition. Nicely seen and executed.

Yes, it’s now Buckeye “season”. They can be shy and hard to approach. The colors and details in the BF stand out well. I’m surprised at how dark and gray the flower behind it’s head is.