Common Buckeye Butterfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw my favorite butterfly a few days ago in our garden.

Technical Details

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150mm macro, 1.4x teleconverter
ISO 400, f16, 1/640s, hand held

Allen, this is a nice look at the Common Buckeye. He looks like he has had a few close calls with the damage marks on his wings. It is amazing how it doesn’t seem to deter them to keep on flying around even with the damage. I always wonder about the story of the nicks on their wings. The placement of the BF on the green leaves is nice, giving a wonderful contrast of colors with the browns against the greens. I also like the composition with the BF at an angle slightly rather than squared with the frame of the image. Pretty nice details in him throughout.

One of my favorites, too. @Shirley_Freeman noted most of what I would have said, so I’ll just say nice shot.

1 Like

Nicely done! The diagonals in the perch give some added info in terms of environment and the soft green works well with the softer, secondary color palette of the butterfly. A little ragged, sure, but that’s the life for these guys.

Allen: Classic view of this little beauty. We get a few of these occasionally but I’ve not seen any in some time. Very nicely done. >=))>