Butterflies are back

I was so excited to see the butterflies back in our yard the last couple of days, just had to try and “capture” one. Red Admiral Butterfly (Vanessa atalanta), I think?
Not sure if this is where I should have posted this??

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did crop a bit, very little post processing - dodged the back of the buttlerfly a bit
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/11, 1/400sec. iso 252, 70-300mm @ 155mm

Thank you.
(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Linda. A very nice shot of this butterfly. The detail looks very good and your depth of field got all of it in focus with a nicely blurred background. On my monitor, the image looks a little dark.

With the subject being the butterfly rather than the flower, the image would usually be posted in the Macro/Close-up category. I’ll move it there for you.

He is beautiful, Linda. We don’t have this kind in our area, so I am enjoying him. Very colorful. Glad the butterflies have arrived in your area. I agree with Dennis, just a bit more brightness may help. Great look at him.

Linda, yes a fine look at this Red Admiral. It is quite dark, but that can be their color. I think your touch of dodging on it’s back looks about right, I can see details but barely. Here in MD, Red Admirals overwinter, so they’re one of the first butterflies seen on warm spring days (seems like it need to get into the mid-60s or even 70 before I see them flying). This might also look good as a vertical, emphasizing the sweep of the larkspur stem

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Mark_Seaver and @Dennis_Plank for your thoughts and suggestions. And thanks Dennis for getting my butterfly in the proper category. Truly appreciate the help.

Linda: This is the place for butterflys and this one fits in really well. I caught one with my phone at a garden center a couple weeks ago but haven’t posted it yet. I like that you left him upside down in the natural position. I would crop this tighter to give the butterfly more prominence and get rid of some of the messy BG.>=))>

Thanks Bill for your kind thoughts. I can definitely see what you mean about cropping and working with the bg a bit. I’ll be on the look out the photo of your Red Admiral, you always do such amazing work.