Cactus Wren prepping for winter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Cactus wren gathering feathers to make the nest more comfortable for the winter.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts in general are appreciated. Cropping more or less is always a problem for me.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500mm, 500mm,1/2000sec, ISO 2500, f/7
Adjustments in LR and LR Enhance to Denoise.

1 Like

Wonderful behavior and a really nice pose, Charlie. I think you could crop down a bit from the top to the bottom of the bright blob on the upper right. It looks to my eye as if you’d processed the wren and the perch together and ended up with the perch looking a bit oversaturated and rather grainy. If the processed version is on a separate layer, you could just brush over the perch with a low opacity eraser brush on the processed layer until it starts looking more natural.

Thanks. I was afraid to get it too tight. I brush and decreased the texture slightly decreased the exposure.

Great activity shot. Nice pose and the detail looks great. Got a good background as well. I like the work you did on the re-post.

Great job on the repost, Charlie.

Lovely action captured, and the repost brings it out even better i.m.o. No nits. Cheers, Hans

Hi Charlie, I really like this behavioral capture. It’s quite intriguing seeing the bird collecting feathers. Repost looks really fine. Well done.

Great behavior you managed to capture here! I like the repost better except for the tighter crop. I think the original crop worked best.