Cactus Wren Singing

Description:

I’ve been out hiking around in the foothills near my home in Albuquerque, NM looking for nice subjects in the desert southwest. Cactus Wrens are pretty common, but not easy to get good looks at on nice perches. This one gave me all I could hope for. A nice cholla cactus perch, nice distant background (the Sandia Mountains), and singing.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/4000, f/7.1, ISO 1000
Handheld
About 90% of full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

keithcbauer

1 Like

Excellent light and plumage detail. Superb positioning and composition. I really like the background with respect to color and texture.

A sweet singer for sure. That bg is perfect to set off the bird and its perch. A scosh more room on the left maybe? I only wish I could shoot birds so well.

Lovely full throated singer. I also noticed the lovely bg color. really nice. It is an interesting looking bird.

A wall hanger for sure. Exceptional detail and perfectly composed.

A beautiful image, Keith. The puffed out throat is what really puts this over the top.

Wow! Stunning detail and amazing perch!! My only thought is for a tiny bit more canvas on the left…

Very nice Keith. Love the singing pose, details on the bird and perch, and the background. No nits from me. Well done!

This is great, Keith ! One of those species I hope to see one day. The image is perfect, lovely post and the throat feathers stand out really nicely. Excellent job, cheers, Hans