Camellias

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 400D, Tamron 55-200 @ 64, 1/160 @ f7.1, ISO 400

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

I’ve never done much shooting of camellias but I do like the way the flowers spread over the bushes, sometimes almost getting lost in the greenery.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I love camellias. They are starting to bloom here in northern California, a sure sign of spring. I like the lighting on the foreground flower - it’s bright, but not too bright. The half-open flower peeping out from the back tells the story of the bloom starting. The only thing that catches my eye is the slightly brighter and different-shade-of-green leaf immediately left of the main bloom. It competes with the flowers. I think adjusting the shade and/or darkening it might make the flowers even more compelling.

Really lovely photo of the camellias Ian. I agree with Bonnie about the leaf to the left of the main flower. I like the somewhat “misty” feeling of it. Wonderful photo.

Ian: This reminds me of camellia images Phil used to post. I hope you will take that as the high compliment intended. I see the issue regarding the leaf but I’m not sure I would have commented if others hadn’t mentioned it first. Good solid comp and a hopeful image. >=))>

So nice to see flowers in bloom. Your image tells a nice story of more beautiful blooms to come. An inspiration to those of us who have yet to see anything in the flower world to photograph. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks so much for the Pick and thank you for all comments.