Shy Camellia

What technical feedback would you like if any? All suggestions appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All feedback considered.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony A6000, F15, 1/80 sec., ISO 600

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Extremely elegant and painterly. I love the lilt of the leaves in the upper right corner and how they seem to caress the flower. The flower feels lit from within. In my own work, my word for the week is “chiaroscuro” and you have certainly embodied what that means in this gorgeous image.

Patricia, this photo is absolutely lovely. The colors, the softness, the curling leaves - wow, just great! I would like to see it with the green leaf on the left side totally blacked out. I’m not sure it would make the image better or not, but I’m curious!

Patricia, for some reason I was not able to edit my above post. After looking at this image again on my poor work monitor, I now see there are other leaves on the left side as well. I wonder what the image would look like if the bright left leaf was darkened as the other left side leaves are. Again, the photo is amazing as it is, but I’m just curious!

Patrici. What a lovely camellia. Truly outstanding. I have one little possible nit and that is the brighter leaf on the left. I would just damp it down a bit and see how it compares to the one here. I’m not at all sure it’s an issue as it is beautiful as is.

I love the way the leaves partly obscure the camellia, Patricia. The exposure and depth of field look just about perfect for my taste. I think you could darken the branches on the right (or remove them) as they kind of mess with the pink and green of the rest of the image.

Here is the revised version which incorporates everyone’s suggestions. Think it improves the image significantly.

3 Likes

Great job on the repost, Patricia. A gorgeous image.

Patricia, Camellias are my meat and potatoes, and I must say, this is as good as it gets! I prefer the repost, like both, and I would be happy with both.

Patricia: Chrissy and I have been on the road for a week so my apologies for my tardiness in commenting on this lovely image. I do like how the leaf is covering the flower. The repost is a significant improvement for me. A fine comp and superb capture and presentation. .>=))>