Camouflage? Moi?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I call this moth (Antipercnia albinigrata) the Clown Moth. It has a funny face behind the head and a circus suit, to my eye. I often see it in a stand-out location, and rarely is it damaged. It can fly away fast, which must have helped it to reach us from the past.

Specific Feedback

I could have played with the bark, but didn’t want people ignoring the moth. Do you think bark and moth are mutually distracting? I don’t mind letting my gaze wander back and forth, but maybe you do. I call it a stark contrast.

Technical Details

D7100 + 105mm 1/80 f9 ISO 4500

Topaz Denoise AI, tonalities in PS. No cropping.

1 Like

Nice shot here Mike. I don’t find the bark distracting as the color contrast and the brightness of the moth make it stand out from the background. I like to soften the background in Lightroom to help emphasize my wildlife subjects, so that is one suggestion. Possibly darkening the edges of the image with a subtle vignette, or using a radial filter around the moth to lighten it further might be effective, but I don’t think much needs to be done with this image.

1 Like

This is an interesting little moth. The exposure and other techs are spot on and for artistic purposes, you can try several different crops too. The subject-centered format works here because the subject is very different from the BG. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Thanks, @Jim_Zablotny. I should have mentioned that it is a large moth, about 2’’ across.

1 Like

Wow this is very cool. I like the contrast in particular - the moth is disruptive enough to command attention. Such excellent detail and wow - what a perfect specimen. I wonder if it just emerged. Seeing one IRL must be thrilling. I know I’d be.

Mike, he/she is beautiful. I never saw one like it. The subject stands out nicely against the bark, so I don’t think anything needs to be done to it. For me, I am wondering if a little was cropped at the top and bottom, making it more of a square would improve this shot? Certainly not necessary, it is fine as is. Great look at this beauty.

Lovely specimen and shot!! The subtle variation of light across the moth is perfect. The image is fine as is, but maybe a more squarish crop could be good, too. (A friend calls that squarifying.)

I don’t think the bark needs any work, but I’m wondering about a darker gradient to bring down the right side a little, as the lightness there tends to pull my eye out of the image.